[Gocamino] Re: Gocamino Digest, Vol 13, Issue 3

Rush Associates c.c.rushassociates at verizon.net
Sat Nov 12 14:21:26 PST 2005

Hi Judy and all--of course one is never "alone" on the Camino; I made some really good friends,  from Italy, Canada, Australia and France.  And I felt the protection of who. . .Santiago?. . . like an aura around me.  (This sounds weird.)  But I continued walking after my husband, who had been walking with me, returned home.  Even though this was part of the plan from the beginning, I faced being "alone" on the Camino with some trepidation.  Yet where else in the world can a woman walking by herself not only be safe, but also feel safe?  And who else but my wonderful husband was supportive of this solitary endeavor, when my friends here in upstate NY thought I was a bit daft?  The question I got when I returned home was "did anything bad happen?"  I had to report that the only "bad" event was my mistake in eating large bowls of the delicious caldo callego two days running!  (There was a flasher in the woods before Monte Gozo, but other than pick up my pace, my reaction was one of pity for him. )

My question of Kathy Gower is: did you walk in France by yourself?  Is it safe for women walking by themselves?  I am planning to walk in France next September, on the Chemin de Compostelle, but I'm not sure of which route.

I miss the Camino, I miss Spain, I miss all of the people I met and talked with along the way.  I celebrated my 69th birthday and my 36th wedding anniversary on the Camino.

Pat Rush, Schenectady, NY