[Gocamino] Journey to Portugal by Saramago

Stuart Thompson stuart7691 at yahoo.com
Wed May 25 16:48:21 PDT 2005

If anyone is interested in reading a 443-page nonfictional work by Nobel laureate for Literature Jose Saramago, Journey to Portugal is a beautiful book.  Its his introspective account of his cultural journey, circa 1980, "to" and around his native Portugal.  The English translation that I read was copyrighted a couple of years ago.

His book is, in large part, a spiritual journey of his travels over a period of several months.  Even though his mode of travel was by car, it still seems to have been a spiritual pilgrimage.  It took me about 100 pages to adapt to his detailed style of observation and thought, but once that adaptation was made, it was a beautiful book to read.  It did not hurt that I consumed one bottle of vino verhde and one of vino tinto (pardon my lack of Portuguese) during the two weeks or so that it took me to read.

A great read.