[Gocamino] Toronto synopsis...simple view

Sue Kenney sue.kenney at sympatico.ca
Wed May 18 14:54:55 PDT 2005

Dear Pilgrims,

I attended the training and gathering in Toronto as well. It was very
special to meet so many other pilgrims, and to finally put a person's face
to the names so familiar to me from this list serv.

I was a part of the Hospitelero Training so I'll give you some background on
that. Because it was a smaller group we had the chance to go around the room
and give everyone the opportunity to talk about their Camino experience.
Mariluz and Jan Melis, from the refugio of Eunate were warm and engaging as
they lead the training. We learned about caring for pilgrims, refugio
management, cleaning, first aid and other important aspects about being a
hospitelero/hospitelera.

The most moving moment for me was when Maryluz showed us how she performs a
pilgrim ritual. When a pilgrim arrives at her refugio, she offers to wash
their feet. At the conferal ceremony, she invited three pilgrims to the
front of St. Basil's chapel to perform the ritual in the presence of all. It
was very moving.

As Kathy mentioned, we were all given a purple scarf to wear when we are on
the Camino and a lovely St. James medallion to commemorate the event.

There were so many great stories from the weekend it's hard to keep it
short, but what I can say it that it was a fabulous experience to be in the
company of pilgrims again. I can't wait for next year's event in Bolder,
Colorado.

Sue

www.suekenney.ca