[Gocamino] Options to the Camino Frances

Jeff Mayor jmayor at occ.cccd.edu
Fri May 6 08:57:44 PDT 2005

Brandon,

Last year my wife and I walked the camino beginning in Canfrance
Estacion. We took a train from Pau France to Somport and stayed on the
bus over the mountain and arrived in Canfranc Estacion at around noon
(the train leaves Pau at approx. 8am).  We began walking down the
valley to Jaca (one of the most beautiful sections of the trip) at
around 1:30pm. Be aware if you go this way that,  taking two short
breaks, we did not arrive in Jaca until 10pm. If (or when I go this way
again) I will stop in Villamayor which we hit around 6pm to break up
the first day. The 25 or 30 K was all down hill, but as any experienced
trekker will tell you, down can be harder on the body than up. (bring
walking poles!!!!!) The rest of the camino after Jaca is also
incredible. We went for entire days without seeing more than one or two
pilgrims on this route (Holy Year). The ruins of Ruestra are most
amazing. Parts on the way is remote and you do feel very isolated
(something we wanted) but that might not suit everyone. You do hack
through some thickets and climb a dismal logging road outside of
Ruestra (do that part in the morning if you are there in the summer) no
water and you are really out on you own on that part of the climb. It
is a bit of a shock when you hit gravel and more people at Puenta del
Riena, but it is all part of it in the end. From Canfranc  Estacion to
Puenta del Riena took about 10 days. This year we begin in Pamplona.

Jeff