[Gocamino] (no subject)

cek954 at aol.com cek954 at aol.com
Sat Mar 19 10:02:05 PST 2005

Hi Everyone
I will be flying into Biarritz, then on to SJPP but plan to start walking in Roncesvalles. I’ve been looking into the best way to get over the Pyrenees and wanted to share the information that I found with the group.

As others have said before, you can take a taxi from SJPP to Roncesvalles. A couple of emails I found in the Santiagobis discussion group archives suggested that it’s cheaper from the Spanish side, and so it might be a good idea to call a taxi from Roncesvalles and have them pick you up in SJPP, rather than using a French taxi service. According to Huberta at the L’Espirt du Chemin albergue in SJPP you can also go over with a van service which is cheaper than a taxi. The other suggestion she had was to have your backpack transported to Roncesvalles with the van and then walk over without it, making it an easier walk for those who aren’t as prepared for the altitude and difficulty of the climb.

L’Esprit du Chemin is located at 40, rue de la Citadelle; 64220 Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port; France; tel. +33 (0)5 59 37 24 68, e-mail: hubertarno at espritduchemin.org, website www.espritduchemin.org. Huberta was very helpful and emailed with a response to my question right away. Thanks to Glenn for the referral to Huberta, and also the suggestion that I share this info with the group!

With regard to getting from Biarritz to SJPP I have a question – I’m arriving in SJPP at 5:00 pm on the Ryanair flight from London. I found a schedule for the train from Bayonne to SJPP on www.sncf.com. According to the website the last train to SJPP leaves at 6:10 pm.  Rather than staying over in Biarritz or Bayonne, I’d rather get to SJPP and spend the night there before going on to Roncesvalles. Does anyone know how long it takes to get to the Bayonne train station from the airport on the shuttle, and if there’s a chance I’ll make the train? Or alternatively, would it be worthwhile to get a cab so I can get there more quickly? Worst case scenario, if I must stay in the Biarritz/Bayonne area, does anyone have a hotel suggestion?
Thanks very much- I leave in 8 weeks, oh my!!!!
Carol in sunny Florida