[Gocamino] planning foe June pilgimage

HMe347 at aol.com HMe347 at aol.com
Wed Mar 16 07:02:25 PST 2005

In a message dated 3/15/2005 10:17:55 PM Eastern Standard Time,
klynch at ljj.com writes:

My wise  fellow pilgrim from Britain was fond of saying "you are a pilgrim,
or you  are a tourist, but never both."

I find this viewpoint appalling, judgmental, intolerant and  ultimately,
foolish.  My experience was a combination of both factors  as well as other
perspectives including educational, contemplative and  socializing.  What is the
point in pigeonholing people as "true pilgrims"  or lowly "tourists"?

Also, who cares where one gets started or whether you take a bus  for part of
the way if you want to or have to?  Only people who think that  they have a
monopoly on wisdom or the truth.  These are the same  sanctimonious people who
think they have the right to impose their wisdom  or will on others less
enlightened than themselves.  They are  bedfellows of those who insist on telling
you what to do with your life or your  body because they know what is best for
you.  They should heed the  words of the Frank Sinatra song "My Way".

Howard Mendes, NYC  (who has been a silent observer for some  time)