[Gocamino] Numbers of pilgrims in the Medieval Era

Eldor Pederson eopederson at msn.com
Tue Mar 15 11:57:30 PST 2005

As yet I have not accumulated enough evidence to come to any firm conclusions, but it would appear most unlikely that 500,000 per year walked to Santiago as some sources on the medieval pilgrimage report. The immense difficulty of feeding that many extra people in an area of rigorous climate and limited agricultural productivity makes the large numbers suspect. Given the small agricultural surplus per farm worker during the medieval era, even in the most productive regions of western Europe, neither that many pilgrims could be spared from work at any given time nor could northern Spain provide them with the amount of food required to make the long and arduous walk. The vast majority of food consumed in the medieval era was produced within a few kilometers of consumption, and in inland areas like the zone much of the Camino Frances traverses, it was nearly impossible to move large quantities of food more than short distances.

It is possible, especially during the holy years in particular, that very large numbers walked, but I doubt it ever reached a half million (or more than a million as some sources claim). Preliterate and semiliterate societies frequently have counting systems of the "one, two, three, some, and many" variety. When the numbers become uncountable, a large sounding number is used to convey the fact that the numbers are beyond counting. I strongly suspect this is the source of the count cited by Michener.