[Gocamino] Transformation on the Camino

Donald Schell donaldschell at saintgregorys.org
Fri Mar 11 14:34:25 PST 2005

Transformations on the camino -

It's intriguing how hard it is to talk about or write about.

I remember a blur of walking day after day with great joy.  It felt
strangely natural and familiar to be traveling so light and to do so
ceaselessly.  Something washed away the whole notion of 'hike' or
'hiking.'  It was just walking and more walking, patient in the moment,
but holding a distant pilgrimage destination enough in mind to keep the
steady pace, heal the blisters, sleep off a bit of flu-y cold  and keep
going.

As a Christian priest who was mostly skeptical of the legends of how
St. James's body came to be in Spain, I began with more attachment to
the Camino than to Santiago itself.  At a certain point, like being
swept along by a gentle breeze, I felt the huge number of people
(ancestors for any of us with any European roots) who had walked the
same path.  I often wondered at the breadth of goodness and malice,
holiness and hypocrisy that the old texts of the pilgrimage
acknowledge.  I felt I was part of a millenium-long line of people,
hugely catholic in the old Greek sense of inclusive and universal.  I
knew something in me was like any one of them and felt and saw (before
I thought and said to myself) that pilgrims don't judge one another.

A zen-like contemplative pleasure in walking emerged.  The delights I
felt, as Kathy expresses so clearly were in moments, movement,
sensation, life and patience and time enough to be present to them.

The hospitality of the people along the way, offers of smiles and
wishes for a good camino grew on me.  On the camino each pilgrim is a
stranger, but a kind of stranger who belongs, passing through, yet part
of a very old, very stable community, a fleeting human image holding
for that moment a place in the landscape that others before have held
and other after will hold.  Whenever I felt myself part of this, I was
moved to gratitude and to wonderful matter-of-fact humility.  'Doesn't
matter who I am.  All that's needed here is a pilgrim.  I'll be that
pilgrim.'

Though there were the moments of anger, suspicion, competition and all
those ordinary things, they were remarkably few.  I was moved by the
frequent kindness pilgrims and the people along the way showed one
another.  The simplest things became important to me - noticing them,
welcoming them, receiving them gratefully.

And I was always grateful to attend a pilgrims' mass, going in any town
that offered one (if I'd arrived in time for it).  The 'pan' in
companions was evident there.  And I felt so many times the logic of
the old iconography portraying James (and sometimes even Jesus) as
fellow pilgrims.

The second time I arrived in Santiago and went down to the crypt to
pray, I realized how much I'd come to love the destination from walking
the way.  I was surprised to notice that my 'intellectual' conviction
that James's bones weren't there no longer mattered to me at all.  All
the logic of the arguments and probabilities was still there, what
mattered to me was that I was kneeling where thousands and thousands of
pilgrims had knelt.  With them I was grateful for the company and
overjoyed to be honoring the memory (and who knows, maybe the bones
too) of one of the Sons of Thunder who walked so many kilometers over
the hillsides of ancient Galilee with Jesus.

love,
donald