[Gocamino] first timer questions

Grant Spangler gaspangler at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 8 08:47:00 PST 2005

I would recommend the 08:00 train out of Madrid. I also recommend making an
account with RENFE and reserving your seat in advance. You need an email
account which will be accessible in Spain, and a credit card.

Your att.net email may or may not work in Europe. I recommend hotmail or
yahoo, the number one and two emails thoughout the Continent. My native ISPs
have been problematic or unavailable, but hotmail has never failed me. A
hotmail account can be free or give 'em 20 bucks a year, your choice. I've
had other travel friends who've had problems getting into their servers as
well. Once I moved to hotmail, my communications became smooth and
dependable.

To make reservations for Madrid-Leon, go to this URL:
http://horarios.renfe.es/hir/index.jsp?page=hjhir130.jsp&O=MADRI&D=15100&AF

MADRID-CHAMARTIN departing 08:00; LEON arriving 11:50. Price E 30.50
Tourist, 40.50 First Class. Specify smoking or non-smoking when making the
reserva.

A noon arrival will let you see the city, and get a start on your Camino the
next day. There are a couple of albergues and a host of inexpensive hostales
to stay in. The 'main' albergue is a series of tents in a park on the way
out of town. I generally stay in a hostal near the casco antiguo, where the
architecture, food, wine, music and culture resides. There are great tapas
bars to wander through on your Leonese walkabout. Check out the pedestrian
streets near the Catedral. Enjoy the city, then have a fabulous Camino!

Ultreya!

Grant

Grant Spangler
GASpangler at hotmail.com