[Gocamino] Two-way radios (was April Pilgrimage)

Richard Ferguson <peregrino at att.net. peregrino at att.net
Thu Mar 3 19:37:58 PST 2005

The web site below describes something that is very similar to the FRS radios commonly used in the USA, both UHF, licence free, and about 1/2 watt power.  (Motorola Talkabout is the most common brand in the USA, and they also sell an European version).  The PMR446 radios in Europe use different frequencies than the FRS in the USA.  Not sure about pricing, especially at the current unfavorable rate of exchange, probably $50  to $100 US each.  This is a European standard: Spain, Portugal, and France accept the standard without deviation;  you could use them freely without a licence in almost all  european countries.

My experience with these types of radios has been favorable, although they tend to work line of sight.  If you are on top of a hill you can talk for miles and miles, but in the bottom of the valley they probably will not reach to the next valley.  Range varies, but a mile or two is typical in most cases.  Be sure to get a radio with CTSS (38 tones), or you will hear all the other traffic on the channel, and it will drive you crazy.  Set all radios to the same channel and CTSS tone, and, in theory, you only hear your own group, not others using the channel.

If I had a sizable group, I would probably go for some of these radios.  Be sure the fastest and slowest hikers each have one.  ;-)

I remember some European hikers using cell phones to advantage when one member of their party took a taxi, as she was walking slowly.  But getting multiple cell phones is pricey, and you pay by the minute.

I don't want to reopen the debate about cell phones.  I am not promoting either cell phones or the PMR 446 radios, with the exception of larger groups, where the group might get separated for one reason or another.  I carefuly researched cell phones before I left the USA, and decided not to get one for my solo trip.

http://www.446user.co.uk/

Richard

From: Robert Spenger <rspenger at earthlink.net>