[Gocamino] Re: Gocamino Digest, Vol 8, Issue 13 Train to Bayonne

juannewell at bellsouth.net juannewell at bellsouth.net
Mon Jun 27 13:49:41 PDT 2005

Vera,

There are 6-8 trains to Bayonne each day from Paris and it takes about 5-6 hours depending if you get express or not. Bayonne to St. Jean there are 4 trains, but they are spread apart so best to get the 8:55AM one.

When I walked the Camino Frances I came flew into Charles de Gaulle airport in the morning and took miday train to Bayonne.  I stayed in Bayonne (enjoyed the chocolate shops and they have a great Basque museum to visit.  The next morning you can take the 8:55AM train and be in St. Jean at 10AM.  A short trip to the Refugio office and you can be registered very easily and on your way to Untto which is only a little over 6KM from the Refugio.

When I left St. Jean it had been raining for two days so I took the road route through Arneguy to Valcarlos (on the French-Spain border) and stayed in Valcarlos the first night.

You can go to the Rail Europe web site and make train reservations and buy your tickets ahead of time.  At least you can see the schedules.

http://www.raileurope.com/us/rail/fares_schedules/index.htm

Bon Camino

John Newell