[Gocamino] Information on Le Puy to St. Jean Pied de Port

Eldor Pederson eopederson at msn.com
Fri Jun 10 21:01:03 PDT 2005

As I have not looked for several years, I am not certain if there is anything else in English, but the guides in French published by  the Federation Francaise de la Randonee Pedestre (14, rue Riquet, 75019 Paris FRANCE) far surpass anything in English that I have encountered. They are most easily used if you can read a little French, but they can be very useful even if you cannot. The maps are great, and the information is mostly in a semi-graphic format that requires only a handful of French terms to be comprehended.  Sentier de Saint-Jacques-de-Compostelle: Le Chemin du Puy is available in 3 small, easy to carry volumes dividing the route from Le Puy to St. Jean into roughly equal portions. Each volume includes excellent maps, route description, and listing of available facilities. If you plan to walk the Chemin du Puy , or some part of it, learning a few words and phrases in French is advisable, for the route passes through small towns and villages, most of them unaccustomed to anglophone tourists. Partially as a consequence of its isolation and distance from the major tourist routes, the Chemin passes through a most wonderful part of France. The scenery is great, the people are friendly, and the food is magnificent!

One note, if you plan to walk during the high season (from now until mid-September), reservations at the gites, or at the small hotels and  private homes providing accommodations (chambres), are advisable. The tourist office at Le Puy has an excellent listing of accommodations with telephone numbers and other contact information as well as other useful information for walking the route.
a.. www.ot-lepuyenvelay.fr<http://www.ot-lepuyenvelay.fr/>

The website is available in English and German as well as French.