[Gocamino] London

Glenn Guha2005 at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 8 10:35:56 PDT 2005

I think we should keep mentions of religion out of our frustration in
dealing with the violence in the world today.  It's not really religion that
is the problem it is politics and the desire for power and control.
Religion has been
used sometimes as a cloak by many to justify the quest for power.  I would
wager to say that the 20th Century saw the most violence as Christian vs
Christian during the World Wars.

I'm American.  My father was Catholic, my mother Protestant.  I married a
German citizen, my brother an Iranian citizen.  My Catholic nephew married
an Israeli
Jew and is living there as a doctor.  The Christians in our family have
married
Turks, Indonesians, Koreans.  Family gatherings are like UN meetings.  I can
tell you they all are wonderful people who respect each other and get along
famously.  The core of all the religions is the desire to come closer to and
understand the transcendent.

We can do our part by by putting ugly abuses of religion in human history
behind us, and not keep the wheel of revenge turning.

Glenn