[Gocamino] Re: [saintjames] Via Francigena

Robert Spenger rspenger at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 22 07:53:06 PST 2005

For a complete narrative of a recent via francigena pilgrimage by
Andrew and Carole Welch log onto the following URL:

http://www12.brinkster.com/awelch/index.html

Then click on the "dispatches."

I found it to be great fun to follow their walk with my Michelin road
atlas of France. The atlas has just enough of western Switzerland and
northwest Italy to follow the route all the way across France and
Switzerland, over Saint Bernard Pass, and a little way down into Italy.
Taking over 100 days and often requiring 15 to 20 miles a day, the via
francigena is far more challenging than the camino Francés. What I
found especially interesting is that there is a complete diary of the
(reverse) route written several centuries before the Codex Calixtinus.
Perhaps the CC is properly called the world's first "travel guide." But
then Archbishop Sigeric's diary should be billed as one of the earliest
travel reporters' columns. Andrew Welch's report describes monuments
along the way that denote the archbishop's progress.

Bob S.