[Gocamino] The weight of boots

Eldor Pederson eopederson at msn.com
Wed Jan 12 10:10:55 PST 2005

  Having done a great deal of hiking and backpacking, I would agree that lighter weight is better, but fit is the most important variable. Plantar fascitis and blisters are much greater problems when the boot does not fit regardless of its weight. I walked the Camino twice with not a single blister and no plantar fascitis wearing Ecco brand boots. Ecco boots are midweight, and the boot last fits me well. Last summer on a long day hike wearing a new pair of very lightweight boots, on the other hand, I suffered from both problems. I subsequently put those Lowa boots in the give away bag as having inserts made to fit to them was expensive, and I went back to my standby Eccos. The small amount of extra weight was far less important than not having foot problems at the end of the day. Find a pair of boots that fit you well, break them in with some practice walking before beginning the Camino, and foot problems should be minimal.

  E. O. Pederson