[Gocamino] More from Santiago

Blaroli at aol.com Blaroli at aol.com
Wed Jan 5 11:34:00 PST 2005

Hello again,
I forgot to add that when "The Befana" couldn´t find the Wise Men or Baby Jesus she began dropping gifts on all children hoping that at least one would get to the Holy Baby, and she has been doing so, for twenty centuries plus, to the delight of Italian bambine and bambini.

Now,... I still have some time to look for things here.
First, there is an "Oca" game based on the Camino which is available at the Cathedral (there is also a wonderful exhibit of the efforts to relate the "Oca" to the Camino at the Pilgrims´museum. (I don´t understand any of it)
The CDRoms are now avaiable on DVDs (PAL system). The CDRoms are: La Meta del Camino (the Goal of the Way) which is the 360 degrees digital view; El Camino hacia la Meta (The Way towards the Goal) which is a narrative of the Caminos with pictures, directions, video and so on.  These two were sort-of produced under the umbrella of the Archdiocese.
There are two other DVDs which seem to be independent productions; they are both very, very nice. One is the Xacobean Route, a spiritual Camino, and the other one is a documentary called "El Camino de Santiago".
Also available now are those precious little guide books. They are laminated, measure about 2 and 1/5 inches by 1 and 1/4 inches and have 40-60 pages. They are about the size of a 1/4 inch thick business card, and coiled. By necessity, the information is very direct and brief: the distance from one place to another, whether the place may have public or private albergues, or whether food and services may be found therein.  They also give the comparative altitudes of places.  There are three of them: one from Sarria to Santiago which has a great deal more information, including phone numbers, another from Roncesvalles to Santiago and another from Somport to Santiago. The sturdy lamination and the coiled form make them durable under all conditions and super-useful. They cost 5 Euros and I would want one with me, most certainly, if I were on the French Camino.
There is also a superb new book which is sort of an illustrated Codex Calistinus, where the pages of the Codex are reproduced on the book and are accompanied by superb (I really mean superb) photographs. That book costs 42 Euros.
There is a magnificent new male choir called "Ultreia" and they have recorded the music of the Codex, or of those times, on 4 CDs, accompanied by a book. That set is 63 Euros.  I heard part of it and I was enthranced.... apparently they recorded in some very special monastery, because they sound like the real thing;  better, far better, than the Gregoran Chants recordings that became so popular a few years ago.
Tomorrow everything is closed, but I still have all day Friday to look for things (if I leave on Saturday, which I´m not absolutely sure of, yet).
Lastly, the Euro is $1.40, or thereabouts.
Have a very nice Kings´ day you all.
Maura, cara, I hope that La Befana wil bring you all your heart desires.
Big hug!
Rosina
p.s.  DO note that the DVDs are PAL and cannot be played in the States unless one has a special machine.