[Gocamino] Still in Saniago

Blaroli at aol.com Blaroli at aol.com
Wed Jan 5 06:00:32 PST 2005

Hello you all,The cold that I came to Santiago with turned into a full fledged "grippe" (whatever that is) which made my upcoming operation impossible for the foresseable future; consequently, I decided to stay a few more days to recuperate before the long-trek home.At one point I had to go to the "urgencies" department of a medical clinic where I was treated as though the place were a five star hotel.  A female doctor and her aides took all sorts of tests, gave me some pills and asked me to remain for an hour to see the effects of the pills, took some more tests and then gave me an elaborate prescription for a lot of things. On the computed-generated prescription they had my blood pressure at the various points of the examinations, temperature, a relation of what they had given me and then the slew of medications.For all this they charged me a grand total of 25 (Twenty five) Euros(!) when I told them I had no valid medical international insurance (that I know of). I then thought that the five prescribed medications (two syrupy ones that come with their own measuring cups, two powdered ones and medicated salt water to wash the insides of one´s nose with its own gizmo applicator) would cost a royal mint. Well, the total cost of the medications was 14.50, fourteen Euros and fifty centimes.  Really.... Couldn´t you just absolutely die?The doctor asked me if I had had a flu-shot and, of course, I hadn´t since there were none to be had in New York City, and when I called the Health people they told me I could get one in an upstate town!...There is something very, very rotten going on.... above and beyond the unconscionable prices of medications in the USA.At any rate, I´ve changed my return tickets to the eight, and after spending two days in bed I feel much better.  Since I must absolutely be back at work on the 29th, my date with the scalpel will probably have to be put off until May or so. Therefore, I may stay around a few days longer.-One thing though:  I think that the Spaniards equate the effficacy of their medicines with the ghastly-level of their taste.Today is the day before "Good Kings" day and this morning I already could hear all sorts of bands on the street anticipating the arrival of "their majesties".  They will arrive on the railroad station and then wander "lost" throughout the city looking for the Baby.Alas! the Botafumeiro has been put to bed.  After the closing of the Holy Door it wasn´t brought out anymore for any Mass..., not on the 1st., and not on Sunday. I was told that it will be brought out tomorrow, the sixth, for Pilgrims´Mass, and then not again until Easter Sunday!Whether they wil bring it up daily for Pilgrims´Mass during July and August no one knows yet.The excitement around here is pretty high.... specially among the little ones, but adults also do get their holiday presentstomorrow (I didn´t know that). People are walking about laden with gift packages.In Italy, where I was last year on "Good Kings" day, the excitement was as high.  However, in Italy the bearer of the gifts is a woman flying around on a broom. She is known as "La Befana". The story is that she owned a house on the route traversed by the Magi when they were lost trying to find  Baby Jesus. She gave the kings food and wine and a place to rest, and they told her the reason for their travels. In exchange for her hospitality they invited her to come along and greet the Newborn Babe. She said she would be absolutely thrilled to go, but that she needed to clean her house first. The Kings couldn´t wait for her but she promised to follow them. After she cleaned the house she looked around for something in which to carry the presents she intended for the Divine Baby, and she came across an old stocking which she then sawed and used as a sack. She started out to follow the Kings but couldn´t find them, and has been flying about and looking for them and for the Baby ever since.How this woman metamorphosed into a witch-like hag with a peaked hat over the centuries, riding her broom, I do not know. She has become a parents´helper, in a way: if children have been less than acceptably good, she will leave a warning in the form of a piece of coal amidst the gifts in the stocking.  If the children have been absolutely bad, she will leave nothing in the stocking but ashes. Might this be the reason why chldren in Italy are remarkably polite and well-behaved?
...Well, I really have to tell you about New Year´s Eve before I forget....But I have to go take my (ugh!) medicines..-I do feel much better.Big hug!Rosina