[Gocamino] More about the possible albergue.

Blaroli at aol.com Blaroli at aol.com
Sun Jan 2 14:10:16 PST 2005

Hello you all,
In today´s Correo Gallego there is a full page (with picture) report on Jesus Jato and all the troubles he and his family have had trying to run a private albergue.  Such headaches may have brought about his recent serious illness.  (He is all recovered now).
Reading the report it would seem that trying to run a private albergue is not terribly different from running a hotel. Apparently the authorities in their preoccupation not to allow the Camino to be exploited for private gain have given Jesus Jato, and others engaged in similar efforts, a lot of problems and have put many handicaps in their way.  A notable exception is Tomas Majarin, ¨the last Templar", but he lives alone in that mountain shack by the Cruz de Ferro and he doesn´t charge anything for the food and space that he provides for pilgrims, whereas Jesus Jato´facility asks for 6 Euros per night plus the cost of the food.  In today´s article he maintains, however, that most of the pilgrims that stay at his place not only do not pay anything, but take away the blankets!

I have been informed that albergues sponsored by Confraternities are much preferred by the powers that be and that few obstacles are put in their way, since the Confraternities would have already agreed to comply with the established statutes to be recognized, and would have demonstrated a commitment to the Camino. It does, then, make sense that confraternities would be preferred as sponsors of  Camino  albergues.  Such was, and is, I think, the case with St. James, with the Italians, wih the French and with the Brazilians whose albergue opened today.
Brazil, by the way, has four confraternities; I was told by Susana, the Archicofradia´s secretary, that the representatives of the Brazilian confraternities did not know one another until they met here in Santiago, and proceeded to have a party... Of course!
After a site has been chosen for the desired albergue the Municipal authorities need to be approached to obtain the needed permits... Such as health and so on,  The requirements vary from municipality to municipality.  There also needs to be some assurance of continuance and plans need to be submitted detailing how contingencies might be dealt with.
Ah!... The albergue also needs a name.
The Brazilians have called theirs the "Nossa Senhora Aparecida" Camino pilgrims´albergue (Our Appeared Lady), after the Patroness of their country.  There is a long, charming story about how such Patroness came to be.... If you are interested I can tell it.
Also, the French pilgrims have established a permanent presence in Santiago. They now have an office, or such, in Lareiras street, right in the Casco.
Lastly,.... one is hard put to imagine anything else being added to the overcrowded Cathedral that may be worth of admiration.  Well, the French have done it.  In the Salvador chapel (just after he Holy Door going clockwise) they have placed a window which is just too beautiful and imaginative for words..... modern, yet old, tri-dimensional, sort-of, of white, yellow and blue glass compositions that do suggest a Picassoish Camino, with a flaming-red Cross of Santiago just on the right place: to the lower left of the window.
I was told that several models of the window were made in Paris before it was brought over, and that it took the artist seven months to install it, because of the uneven shape of the Cathedral´s walls.
When you come to Santiago do look for the window. I haven´t the foggiest noion why, but when I saw it it brought to mind the Parisian fireworks on the Eiffel Tower on Jan. 1, 2000.(!)
Also... do NOT miss going to see the four and a half centuries old wooden choir, that used to be in the Cathedral until 1940, and whose 80,000 pieces have been reassembled, on a labor that took six years, and are now in full view behind the altar in the San Martin Penario´s church.
While the choir may not be as formidable as the one in Leon, so lovingly described by Linda Davidson in her Santiago book, it is, indeed a wonder to behold.
Big hug!
Rosina
p.s.  If the Santa Barbaras, or some other North American group wishes to make a dream come true and begin the whatever-may-be-neededs for the establishment of a North-American sponsored albergue, I hereby volunteer my services as a translator, traveler (at my expense, of course)  and liaison to help bring it about, as long as I´m NOT named as an official anything.