[Gocamino] 16th Century Figure of St James

William Marques w.marques at cuphosco.co.uk
Mon Feb 21 02:28:56 PST 2005

Here is something for the seriously well funded member of the Group.
There is a fascinating sale of Early European Sculpture, Furniture etc.
at Sotheby’s in London on Thursday.  One item is a sculpture of St James
(see below).  A bit out of my league I’m afraid.

THE ADLER COLLECTION: EUROPEAN SCULPTURE, WORKS OF ART & EARLY FURNITURE

Sale L05230

Lot 35 of 229

A POLYCHROME WOOD FIGURE OF ST JAMES OF COMPOSTELLA, FRENCH, SECOND
QUARTER 16TH CENTURY.  96cm. 37¾in.

The pilgrim saint holding an open book in his right hand and in his left
a staff, his hat centred by a shell in relief, on later wooden base

Estimate

3,000—4,000 GBP

At

Sotheby’s, London, New Bond Street