[Gocamino] Use of Debit Cards

Grant Spangler gaspangler at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 19 13:58:58 PST 2005

Yes, your Visa debit card can be used in Spain as described. My bank has an
ATM/Visa Debit card I carry on the Camino. Works just dandy. Be certain to
have a 4 digit, not 6 digit PIN for the card. Set up Internet banking and
account access before you go, then you can move money around and pay any
cards whilst on the Road. I stay over the pond for two to four months at a
stretch. The only way I can is by paying cards as they come due, never
paying interest. I recommend American Express Travelers Checks as a backup,
and a second credit card in case your Visa dies. Mine did, and I was happy
to have an alternative. The magnetic strip went soft, and there was no more
ATM money for the kid. Bring half as much stuff and twice as much money as
you think you’ll need. Then just dive in, and the Road will rise up to meet
you.

Have a great journey.

Grant

Grant Spangler