[Gocamino] Pilgrim Masses

Rebekah Scott rebrites at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 18 12:37:08 PST 2005

Derek:
You are wonderfully sensitive to the sensibilities of other Christians. The "openness" of communion among denominations has for centuries been a really sticky wicket; I've found in most Catholic churches along The Way an attitude of "don't ask, don't tell" prevails. No one is turned away from communion, but if a non-Catholic asked first, he'd probably be told "no," that the sacrament is preserved for those who embrace Catholic belief entirely.

A Catholic priest I met along The Way said my worthiness for communion is between me and God, and the church exists to bring mankind into grace, no matter what his condition or background. At the same time, if others around me knew I was not Catholic and I received communion, it could hurt their faith and cause problems.

So... If you want to receive communion, and your conscience is clear about it, and no one around you will be scandalized, go for it. Otherwise, don't. I am sure the Lord already credits it to you as unto salvation!

Rebekah

Rebekah Scott, periodista
Westmoreland County bureau
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette USA