[Gocamino] camera/gps (gadgetophobes please delete)

Robert Spenger rspenger at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 28 21:29:39 PDT 2005

  Dear Members of camino forums,

Awhile back, some one, on one of these forums, mentioned having a
problem identifying pilgrimage photos due to a failure to note down
the time and place. Later it occurred to me that, with digital
cameras, we no longer need to note our camera settings - those are
all nicely stored for us along with the digitalized photo. The time
and date are also recorded - if we have made the effort to set the
camera's internal calendar and clock properly (which I am prone to
fail to do).

But why not go one step further? It shouldn't take too much effort
for some enterprising manufacturer to incorporate a gps in a camera
so that the coordinates would be stored as well. Perhaps this has
already been done. Have any of you heard of such a camera?

I have been told that there is a move to include a gps in all cell
phones for safety considerations (and perhaps surveillance as well -
grrr). Since many cell phones already include cameras, that may be
where it will all come together. I am not at all keen on cell phones
and I doubt that their cameras are worth while, so I would much
rather see a decent gps/camera combination developed. It would be
especially helpful in relocating a favorite wilderness scene in my area.

Any comments?

regards,

Bob S.