[Gocamino] Electronics in General

Grant Spangler gaspangler at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 15 11:27:10 PDT 2005

Several forays past I carried a multilanguage electronic thingie. Back when
translating both language and francs and pesetas sounded like a good idea.
It served me well. My Spanish is dandy, my Portuguese is poor, and my French
is abysmal. On Camino outings I ditched the little device and relied on a
month's diet of language CDs to refresh my lingustics. Stuff I carry in my
brain weighs less and is faster to use. Now, That said, if you think it
would enhance your Camino, by all means take it. If you feel uncomfortable
with your ability to communicate the basics, and two ounces of whizbang will
fix that, DO IT. I have a friend who just completed Roncesvalles to
Santiago, walking solo. Her native language is Korean. She speaks no Spanish
or French. Spaniards seldom speak English. She had a moderate rough go in
the communications department, but made the trip. Her post Camino
observation is: "Next time I will have learned Spanish". YooCha is one
amazing woman. Her path is her path. Walking solo without language basics.
She has some stories to tell. Interwoven in these stories is the miraculous
of how God takes care of us. You can choose to rely on the miraculous, on a
language translator, or intensive self-paced learning. All work. Pick your
Path.

Buen Camino,

Grant

Grant Spangler