[Gocamino] Calling cards

Robert Spenger rspenger at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 7 08:33:47 PDT 2005

On Aug 7, 2005, at 7:53 AM, Brooke Broadbent wrote:

Hi,

What experience have folks had with calling cards?

That seemed to be the cheapest way to call back to the U.S.

Best to purchase in France or Spain?

The ones I got in France were good only in France. The main problem I
had with them was that I couldn't understand the message that told me
how much time I had left on the cards. When I crossed the border, I
had to get a new card for Spain. The first problem was that the only
shop in Canfranc Estación that had cards had some that were good only
for Europe and/or South America (and possibly Central America and
Mexico). They weren't good for the U.S. and Canada. I could probably
have purchased a universal card at the P.O. - if there was one - but
it was sunday, so it would not have been open. I spent sunday night
at a hotel in Jaca and then had to wait around in the morning for the
P.O. to open so that I could get a proper card there. If I remember
correctly, they were often available at tobacco shops in both France
and Spain. In Castrojeriz, they were available in a sort of hardware/
general store on the main plaza. The proprietor there was a very
helpful fellow, indeed.

Did you take a North American card with you from your phone company?

No. If I had one, I don't believe that it have been valid in Europe
at that time (April to June, 2000).

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brooke