[Gocamino] fall weather

Grant Spangler gaspangler at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 6 19:40:22 PDT 2005

Vera,
As with many things you need to put the sleeping and clothing into context.
I have gone a-wandering down the yellow markered road in the late autumn.
The weather is generally still warm, especially the Meseta, and keeping cool
is still an issue. I have walked in sandals and shorts through mid-November
to no ill effect. A silk sleep sack did me just fine in sleeping comfort,
but some may wish to schlepp a light down bag. It's the cusp of dry/wet and
hot/cold seasons so you make the call. I revel in the lightness of my pack.
One thing I will emphasize is good foul weather gear. Nothing nothing
nothing will beat a good rain jacket in a high wind. My fave is a compact
model from RedLedge. I used to poo-poo rain pants untill caught in a nasty
squall line descending O Cebreiro. I am now a believer. My Thunderlight
Jacket is well-ventilated, but will also withstand a frontal onslaught of
H2O. The pants are a full side-zip and vent well, and go on and off without
removing the boots. Here are a few of the things I use, along with the
vendor's descriptions ...

Mountain Hardwear Phantom: A Camino cool season down bag (609 grams)
http://www.rei.com/product/47693668.htm

Cocoon Silk Sleep Sack: A Camino summer sleeping bag (178 grams)
http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?catalogId=40000008000&productId=47786072

Red Ledge 'A081' Thunderlight Jacket: Hooded, vented, compact (395 grams)
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=3192609

Red Ledge Thunderlight Rain Pant: Full zippered leg, compact (280 grams)
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=3192620

Patagonia Synchilla Vest: Warmth without weight (315 grams)
http://www.patagonia.com/za/PDC?OPTION=PRODUCT&merchant_rn=7385&sku=25182

As for the battery gig, I have had to carry a charger for my camera since it
insisted on a lithium battery, and would not accept AA cells. I never lacked
for outlets to charge my device, but I did so while I was in attendence.
Walking off and leaving your phone or camera charging is asking for trouble,
even in the midst of pilgrims. (Hint: they ain't all so pilgrimesque.) NiMH
batteries are the next best power density to a lithium arrangement. Nicads
come next, and Alkalines are a distant last place. Try to avoid cameras
which run on two AA or even worse, two AAA batteries. These tend to be
geared towards small and cute versus a long battery life. You may find
yourself charging or replaceing batteries waaaay to often with these little
baubles.

Have a good Journey.

Buen Camino,

Grant