[Gocamino] Canes and Planes and Packs

Sue Kenney sue.kenney at sympatico.ca
Wed Apr 27 14:46:18 PDT 2005

I have just returned from the Camino on Sunday.

Iberia airlines in Santiago made me check-in my walking stick as baggage;
they sited the steel tip as the reason. At London, Heathrow (Lufthansa) they
also made me check it in. I flew through Frankfurt and when I got to Toronto
the walking stick never showed up. I didn't bother putting in a claim
thinking that maybe someone else needed it more than I did.

About baggage. Last year when I arrived at Vigo airport, my backpack didn't.
It was lost for two days in Madrid. I started walking from Valenca, Portugal
without my pack the next day and ended up with horrible blisters because I
didn't have the right socks on or my vaseline with me. (the stores were
always closed when I arrived in the villages) This time, I used the pouch on
the top of my backpack (which clips off) as a carry-on pack. I made sure I
packed socks, vaseline, bandaids, a rain poncho, chocolate bar, diary and
underwear. Everything else you can do without until you get to a store.

Sue