[Gocamino] Backpack

Robert Spenger rspenger at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 26 19:52:37 PDT 2005

Dear members,

The following statement was in a message sent to another group and it
makes good sense:

Regarding taking a pack as carryon baggage: if it's too big to fit in
the overhead bin, it's too big to carry on your back for a month.

However, that doesn’t work for everyone and I sent the following reply:

That may be true for some, but I had a very unhappy experience with my
REI carryon-size backpack that I brought to Arles. It was too short and
I couldn't get enough of the weight on my hips. My shoulders were
taking such a beating that by the time I got to Toulouse, I bought a
new, adjustable French-made pack. It was far superior and considerably
cheaper than the REI pack, but would never qualify for strictly
enforced carryon rules. My torso is not particularly long, so I would
think that a lot of others might also have trouble with a backpack,
large or small, that is limited to the 22 inch length required by the
airlines.

regards,

Bob S.