[Gocamino] Re: weather, gadgets, guides, and Providence

Rebekah Scott rebrites at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 6 06:09:02 PDT 2005

I don't mean to "rain on the parade," and I marvel at the high-tech internet camino things (obviously...we are here now, no?) but having lists of internet sites, weather map links, packing lists right down to brand names and models, satellite telephones, accomodations booked in advance, and The Perfect Shoes all figured out in advance...Where's there room for faith in divine providence?

Call me old-fashioned, but I think part of the fun of an adventure is the ADVENTURE..the NOT  knowing what's up ahead, the unknown, the chance that something will go wrong/you might get wet/you might have to sleep outside. I read through these pages and I understand the excitement of gathering all the stuff together, the anxiety over maps, the wondering if you'll make it, all that expectation.

It's hard not to overplan. But remember, this isn't a holiday trip. It's supposed to be a little risky and strange and flexible and grubby. If you're worried about the weather, getting a bed, sanitary toilets, what kind of food is available, etc., maybe you should just book into an organized trip with all those details taken care of for you.

Pilgrimage is minimalism, lightweight, take-it-as-it-comes travel that lets your mind empty itself out. I am not judging people who need to accommodate illness or infirmity, but I wonder if the added assurance of all the extra lists, gadgets, and guides will somehow subtract from the Camino's adventure aspect.

Reb.

Rebekah Scott, periodista
Westmoreland County bureau
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette USA