[Gocamino] communication- climate

Grant Spangler gaspangler at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 1 07:52:55 PST 2005

Renee:

To be call-able on the Camino:

Three different scenarios, I recommend the first as easiest:

As soon as you get into Spain, buy a Telefonica (Movistar) mobile phone.
There are three major mobile phone carriers in Spain, and Telefonica is
hands-down the most extensively built-out system. They will have the best
coverage in the rural areas you will be traversing. You will be able to call
the US, and be called by the US. Check to see if there are any deals on
international calling when you sigh up. If you want to peruse the company,
look at: http://www.movistar.com/. People can also text you (SMS) from
anywhere in the world.

Option two:

If your existing mobile phone is a GSM (global systems mobile) phone, it
will work in Europe. If it is not, it will not. You can check with your
company about international roaming, and pay attention to the rates. The US
party would simply dial your regular number to ring you up. You would call a
US number the usual way, but including area code.

Option three:

If your US mobile phone is an UNLOCKED GSM phone, you simply put in a new
Telefonica SIM card (it's just behind the battery) when you get to Spain.
You instantly have a European phone number, but retain your address book and
familiarity of operations. This is a 'variable' option, it may work
perfectly or poorly for you. When you get home, you pop in your regular SIM,
and the phone returns to 'normal'. Please pay attention to 'locked' versus
'unlocked' in a GSM phone. Here is where marketing enters and common sense
exits. Theoretically, any GSM phone can work on any system. Enter the phone
carrier: they want to sell you a new phone. They often 'lock' the phone you
buy so it only works on their system. Any 'locked' GSM can be 'unlocked'.
Demand your carrier give you the unlock code, or buy the unlock code on the
Internet.

This is why option #1 is so attractive.

Next item: contacting your friend on the Road ...

Will he/she have a mobile phone? If not there is an inter-albergue messaging
network which can look for a peregrino. Another option (I have done this
one) is to be at an exact place at an exact time. That's kind of rough, but
it is do-able. You may need to build in a day's buffer to arrive early for
good measure. Is that 100 miles or 100 kilometers? 100 kilometers would be
Sarria; 100 miles would be about Villafranca de Bierzo or O Cebreiro. You
can phone ahead to a known albergue where you have agreed to meet. I can
give you numbers if you wish. Please be advised they will speak Spanish
almost exclusively, so have a script ready.

***************************************

Weather:

September is cooling, but still warm. I recommend against a cotton jacket.
Cotton absorbs and holds moisture. I used to travel with cotton, but no
more. A properly designed synthetic fabric garment is more appropriate for
the Camino. Especially when you get to Galicia. Wet, wet, wet. Cotton will
not dry out in Galicia. Look at my site for tried and proven travel clothing
and outerware, link below.

Have a great time preparing. Have a great journey.

Onward,

Grant

Grant Spangler
GASpangler at hotmail.com