Trees on the Meseta

Jeffrey Crawley jt.crawleyaUKONLINE.CO.UK
Fri Sep 3 01:17:34 PDT 2004

Very well put.

At school we were told the French habit of planting plane trees alongside the
road was started by Napoleon to provide shade for his marching troop columns
and they are probably useful for that purpose.

A couple of years ago I remember reading in a French newspaper that the French
government was asking the individual Departements to look into whether some
stretches of trees should be cut down. It seems that their regular spacing and
the effect of dappled sunlight was having a hypnotic effect on car drivers and
causing speeding accidents especially on bends. Not sure what came of the
proposal though.

Jeffrey