travel and customs

pieter pannevis ppaPP.MYADSL.NL
Wed Sep 1 02:10:30 PDT 2004

Dear all,

  Even before 9/11  ( and not the film) the "reception"and the "welcome" in
the land of the free, was at least in Washington below all standards of
official courtesy to a person or persons to visit the USA. On a next visit
to Chicago the "manhandling" was a bit less, but still very inhospitable.
Even if this an official duty, this is the first impression of a foreign
country and should be taken as such.!

I personally felt very unwelcome, not only by the attitude of the person(s)
responsible for queuing, but also by the airport and immigration authorities
not to provide more personnel to "process" the arriving  passengers ( at a
very decent hour)
The official at long last at the counter ( it took 1 1/2 hour to get there)
was short tempered, not replying to questions asked and in short a disgrace
to his uniform and his private upbringing.

Wasn't it been for another warm welcome that awaited me. I would have turned
around and got the first flight back immediately.
There might be something to learn from the "old world courtesy and
hospitality" without falling into the realms of bureaucracy and certainly
after 9/11 into paranoia

A devastating  report on 9/11 is available in pdf at:

http://www.9-11commission.gov/report/index.htm

have a good time all !
mailto:ppapp.myadsl.nl