travel and customs

claudia castellani claudietta67aHOTMAIL.COM
Wed Sep 1 01:44:27 PDT 2004

I hope our politicians, at least Europeans, won't see the restrictions in US
customs in the perspective of "retaliation"!
No countries in Europe, apart from Spain, have experienced anything like
9/11, and I pray they (we) will never have to. And I personally wouldn't
dare criticize restrictions in customs adopted by any country targeted by
terrorism because in the next future my country could be one of these
(actually it is already!!).

I don't mind having to undergo some uncomfortable procedures when I have to
pass through customs in other countries: those procedures are also meant for
my own security, so if I have to be angry with someone, this would not be
the American government but.... Bin Laden.

In Europe the situation is more complicated because everything related to
customs must be decided by the whole EU: the Schengen treaty allows a very
easy transfer from one European country to the other, which is all very
beautiful but today also very dangerous.
Many immigrants without documents who succeed in coming to Italy crossing
the sea, don't want to live in my country but prefer travelling to Germany
and France, and they do it without problems because there are no borders any
longer.
So the security problem is, for Europe, very difficult to face, and even if
the idea of a world without borders and customs is a fascinating one (and
the Camino is the most charming symbol of this borderless world!), I think
in this period we should be very careful.

Best regards,

Claudia
Rome,
Italy