gocamino mailing list(s?)

David Hough camino2003aCOVAD.NET
Fri Oct 8 08:31:30 PDT 2004

Since there seems to be some confusion about electronic mailing lists,
let me attempt to clarify:

1) gocamino AT pete.uri.edu, the list that you are a member of if you are reading
   this message is going to be shut down in a few days, according to ever-energetic
   and generous Linda Davidson
   who has been managing it since it was set up four years ago.    If you wanted to
   unsubscribe anyway, do nothing.    But what if you would like to continue to
   participate in an American list about the Camino?   Then read on:

2) During the time that it wasn't clear what was going to happen next,
   the ever-energetic and generous Rosina Lila offered as an interim measure
   to maintain a private
   list of people who wanted to continue to receive her informational updates,
   and many people wrote and continue to write to her (usually inappropriately
   indirectly by replying to postings on gocamino AT pete.uri.edu) asking to be
   placed on her list.
   All of us would rather she spend her time writing her fascinating epistles
   instead of dealing with the drudgery of maintaining a mailing list.   So
   it is much to be hoped that she and everybody who wrote to her will instead
   join the 58 others from gocamino AT pete.uri.edu who have moved on to the next
   stage:

3) gocamino AT oakapple.net is running on my servers on behalf of American Pilgrims
   on the Camino and is intended to replace gocamino AT pete.uri.edu.
   >>> You too can join them by sending a message "subscribe" (without quotes) in the
   BODY (not Subject:) of an email to >>> gocamino-request AT oakapple.net <<<

   To repeat:

TO GET ON  THE LIST:    send the message "subscribe" to
                        gocamino-request AT oakapple.net
TO GET OFF THE LIST:    send the message "unsubscribe" to
                        gocamino-request AT oakapple.net
TO POST TO THE LIST:    send your message to
                        gocamino AT oakapple.net

   gocamino AT oakapple.net offers basic mailing-list functionality but not all the
   features of the lsoft software that pete.uri.edu uses.   I hope to improve that
   over time and may convert from majordomo
   to the free version of lsoft once I have an idea of
   how many subscribers there will be (the free version of lsoft is limited to
   500 subscribers).

As with any transition there will be some temporary rough spots and some permanent
differences.    I am still working on archives and a digest version.

One of the permanent and intentional
differences is that you must Reply-All to
reply to the list; the usual Reply will reply only to the sender.

If you have a problem with a temporary rough spot (I am constantly tuning my
anti-spam
defenses and sometimes legitimate mail gets bounced or discarded) you can also
contact me at caminooakapple AT yahoo.com but please don't put that address in
your address
book unless your anti-virus defenses and in place and up to date (the main way
that spammers
get private email addresses that have been carefully protected by their owners is by
downloading the address books belonging to the owners' less-careful correspondents).

What's the deal with all the AT in the email addresses above?    One of the
prices to be
paid for having public archives is that any email addresses they contain
will be harvested sooner or later by spammers.    So the archives that I will set up
with have all the a signs replaced by other symbols.

David Hough