[Gocamino] Santiago Statistics

Blaroli at aol.com Blaroli at aol.com
Thu Nov 18 14:25:26 PST 2004

Hello you all,
I have been getting messages from Santiago about the unavailability of detailed pilgrims' statistics for the past few months.  I do not understand the technical references, but hopefully most of you will.
It seems that the cable hook up (?), the installation of the new computers and the web were successfully completed months ago and replaced the old defective computer system in the pilgrims' office.
A group of graduate "Informatica" (computer science students) volunteered to do the rest of the work, that is the "architecture of the application" (?) to classify and compile the relevant pilgrims' data, but it seems that their efforts resulted in a big mess still to be unraveled. The only thing that was accomplished was the input of data related to 180,00 pilgrims who received the compostela by a few months ago.
The Office, and the person in charge of the pilgrims' and sociological statistics of the Archdiocese, Canonigo (Cathedral priest) Juan Jose Cebrian Franco, -who has written 23 books about the Camino and has doctorates from Universities in Rome and Galicia- informs that it has now been decided to get the services of a private computer installation firm to put in place a new application and an SQL server (?) to solve the problems.
[Father Juan Jose's brother, Jenaro, another super-degreed Canonigo, was put in charge of the pilgrims' office when dear Don Jaime had a stroke]
I will be going to Santiago next Tuesday for Thanksgiving and will be there until the 29th. Father Juan Jose has told me that they are hard at work "translating" the table that contains the pilgrims' statistical data (?) and that I will probably be abble to obtain a copy when I'm there.
Naturally, I will post it at once.
If there is anything that I can do, or get, for any of you while I'm in Santiago, please let me know.
There is a saying in Spanish that goes: "No hay mal que dure cien anos, ni cuerpo que lo aguante". Roughly translated it means that no unpleasant happenings last 100 years and no one could withstand them anyway.  I'm having a hard time coming out from under the monumental depression that the results of the election produced in me..... but, Santiago is capable of all sorts of  miracles and perhaps I'll come back feeling better.
Big hug to you all!
Rosina