"Pietatis causa"

Paul Newfield pcn01aWEBDSI.COM
Thu May 6 07:34:32 PDT 2004

Some thoughts:

1.  The Compostela uses the words "pietatis causa", which has been interpreted by the issuing authorities
     to be "for religious reasons";   (I would prefer a usage that means "for pious reasons").
     The major difference in the terms would be the party/person who got to define the terms:
     "Religious reasons" is defined by the church; whereas "Pious reasons" is personal, and privately defined.

2.  In lieu of a certificate for "religious reasons", Just buy a T-shirt;

3.  Eliminate the requirement...??    Perhaps when Howard is elected Pope !      :-))

Paul

Question:  Does Pilgrim Office issue a "Non-Religous Certificate"??  Anyone have a photo of one??

  This is fine for adherents to a faith; but what about non-believers who walk?  there is no requirement, thankfully, that one profess to be a Catholic to receive the Compostela.  As for Marathon certificates and academic degrees, of course there are requirements to earn them.  I don't take issue with the proof that one has walked or cycled a certain distance, but what does "a religious motive" really have to do with getting a Compostela?  The Church should eliminate this aspect of granting the Compostela despite all your arguments for keeping it.  As I said, personal or private motives are just as valid in my mind.  HM NYC