Reason for issuing the Compostela (was Re: Re: numbers..final)

Robert Spenger rspengeraEARTHLINK.NET
Thu May 6 07:06:23 PDT 2004

It is my impression that there is such a certificate and that it is
issued at the pilgrim office in SdeC. It is in Spanish rather than
Latin, but certifies that the recipient has fulfilled the (physical)
requirements. Thus the need for a secular certificate is already
filled, even though it is issued by the pilgrim office and not a
secular group.

Yes, the Fisterra certificate is issued by a secular authority, the
Alcaldia del Ayuntamientoda Finisterre (quote and spelling from the
stamp). It reads:

                        O Concello de Fisterra acredita que

                       chegou a estas terras da Costa da Morte
                                e fin do Camiño Xacobeo

                                  Fisterra _(date)_ O Alcalde.

Note that, while the stamp is in Castillian, the certificate itself is
in Galician.

R. Spenger