Reason for issuing the Compostela (was Re: Re: numbers..final)

Howard Mendes HMe347aAOL.COM
Thu May 6 04:27:32 PDT 2004

In a message dated 05/06/04 05:22:40 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
ed_maddenaLINEONE.NET writes:
As the issuing authority, I think that the Catholic Church has every right
to set the terms and conditions under which it hands out its Compostela.
I never said that the Church did not have the right to do this.  It has the
right to do whatever it wants and to set whatever conditions it chooses to
issue the Compostela.  However, don't you think it would be more enlightened to be
less narrowminded than to require people to profess a religious reason?

I think it is very proper that the Church does inquire as to the motives of
those
requesting its document so as not to devalue or subvert the reasons for its
award.

What if the motives are more personal than religious?  How does this devalue
or subvert?  One of the problems I have with ANY organized religion, not just
the Church, is attempts at thought control like this.  What difference does a
person's motive for walking the Camino really amount to?  You can say that
appreciation of history and culture or the wonders of the creation of the natural
beauty of Spain are equally valid motives, but I doubt whether the Church
would agree.  Howard Mendes, NYC