why matamoros, at all

Eyskens jeyskensaAUSTIN.RR.COM
Tue May 4 09:33:31 PDT 2004

I feel any statistics are irrelevant.  I started my first Camino alone
and met three other people along the way and we all finished in Santiago
together.  I had made the walk for (my) spiritual reason, one of the
others was a devout Catholic who made the trip for religious reason, the
third was a self confessed communist (past tense anyway) who never
stated his reason for the pilgrimage and the fourth said she was an
atheist but was trying to sort out her life.  All of us received
Compostela although I don't know what the others told the girls at the
pilgrim office; (I said spiritual).  We're all still friends and met up
as regularly as possible in London.

Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: Road to Santiago Pilgrimage [mailto:GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU] On
Behalf Of Howard Mendes
Sent: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 8:18 PM
To: GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
Subject: Re: why matamoros, at all

In a message dated 05/04/04 12:46:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
BlaroliaAOL.COM writes:

As the statistics repeatedly show,  about 95% of Camino pilgrims
undertake the pilgrimage, the goal of which lies in the Cathedral of
Santiago,  for religious reasons

Everyone knows that this statistic is unreliable because the Church
won't give the Compostela to you unless you tell them what they want to
hear.  Also, noone keeps accurate statistics on those who do only
portions of the Camino and do not reach Santiago.  You can believe what
you want, but most of the pilgrims I met were not there solely for
religious reasons.  HM, NYC