why matamoros, at all

Susan Long slongyahaYAHOO.COM
Tue May 4 05:01:50 PDT 2004

(previously lurking on this list, but I thought I'd jump in. Two friends
and I start the camino next Wednesday the 12th!)

It's interesting, but I have been to Spain several times, and everything
I have heard about the Moorish occupation from the Spaniards is what an
enlightened time it was, how much they benefited culturally, and how
much they lost by expelling the Moors (and the Jews, later). Medieval
mosques and synagogues are now preserved with love and care.

So, actually, I think the Spaniards actually do use their history to
learn from. That is also one reason they don't want to be a part of
occupying and making war on the present Iraqi people - because they have
learned from their past(which also includes the lessons of the Franco
era).

Susan Long
slongyahayahoo.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Road to Santiago Pilgrimage [mailto:GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU] On
Behalf Of Karen Willmus
Sent: Monday, May 03, 2004 10:59 PM
To: GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
Subject: Re: why matamoros, at all

I'm a little surprised in this "Matamoros" discussion on a "Christian"
list
that no one has brought up the obvious:

Historical references such as the Matamoros, the Crusades, ... you name
it...are things that we as Christians should point out as examples of
how we
sin -- all of us -- no matter what our best intentions are.  Saddam
Hussein
sins, George Bush sins, Muslim fanatics sin, and Americans sin.  That's
the
reason why Jesus died on the cross: to save eac of us from the sin which
we
are incapable of saving ourselves from.  And isn't that the reason for
pilgrimage: to proceed through a process of recognizing our sins, to
perform
an act of contrition, and to thank God for sending His Son to save us?

Take down the statue or leave it up: it will not stop sin.  Only Christ
will
be able to do that.

BTW, Rolf, every story DOES contain a grain of truth -- it's the lies
you
really have to watch out for.  "The devil is in the details."

Karen Willmus