a camino book and a camino interview (CD)

Donald Schell djschelaATTGLOBAL.NET
Mon Mar 29 10:08:16 PST 2004

dear friends,

In 1998 after walking 300 miles of the Camino (walked St. Jean to
Logrono - bus to Leon - then Leon to Santiago), my 22 year old daughter
and I wrote a book about our experience.  Walking with a companion is a
journey in itself, learning to find a common pace and way of walking,
balancing quiet and talk, handling frustrations, fears and conflicts
which are inevitably different (and sometimes surprising) for two
people, no matter how well they know each other.  I found the
experience of sharing the walk so profound, I've been back to walk with
my wife and then again with my son.

Maria and my book, *My Father, My Daughter, Pilgrims on the Road to
Santiago*, is more about the experience of companionship, support,
conflict, and reconciliation on the camino than any of the excellent
books on the camino I've read.  There are informative reviews of it on
Amazon and you can order it through Amazon (slow because it's a special
order) or it's also available directly from Church Publishing (the
Episcopal Church's publishing house) www.cpg.org.  With shipping it's
about $!5.

Some of you have read the book and have been encouraging about it.
Some have asked about the argument we wrote about on our very last day
walking and where things went from there, and that goes, naturally to
the process of co-authoring a book, which we did in the year following
our camino (and as many have found, writing about the camino, whether
published or simply shared with friends is a valuable way of completing
the experience and making our way back home - something the medieval
pilgrims (and a very few modern pilgrims) accomplished with their long
foot journey home.

Maria and I were interviewed about the pilgrimage, the story we tell in
the book and the experience writing of the book together for a great
radio show called 'Hitchhiking off the map,' by a public radio
production group called 'the independent eye.'  All of this, walking
together, writing together, returning to the camino, and the radio
interview are about that returning home and living as a pilgrim after
the camino that Nancy Frey writes of so movingly.

The interview is now available on-line and can be ordered from
www.hitching.org it's in the archives (show #61) and you can listen for
free on-line or order a CD copy for $10.  If you like what you hear,
tell other pilgrims!  Thank you.

Donald Schell
www.saintgregorys.org