cooking, sticks, swim

Jeffrey Crawley jt.crawleyaUKONLINE.CO.UK
Tue Mar 23 05:37:23 PST 2004

Kathy and Phil,

A stick is pretty well worth while.

Cooking - there may be kitchens but there might not be pots, plates and kfs.
Most cooking in Spain is done on bottled gas ranges or electric hot plates with
(possibly) electric stoves - no grill though. There can be long waits to get in
the kitchen.

Good/reasonable kitchens at Pamplona, Belorado (new refugio), Astorga (new
refugio), Rabanal, Molinaseca, Ponferada, Melide (NO EQUIPMENT), Arzua wasn't
bad, Arca O Pino (no equipment again), Ribadiso is good but no shop.

Gas for camping stoves is available (we're talking butane/propane here not what
north Americans put in their car tanks) but need to be disposed of. You might
like to consider a white gas/petrol stove if you feel you want to be free of
the queue to cook.

As for swimming there's a place at Estella, a pilgrim pool (open May - mid
Sept) at Hontanas, you get a free pass to the municipal pool in Najera if you
stay in the refugio, there were rumours that Gaspar was building a pool
opposite the Posada in Rabanal and at Molinaseca the town council maintain a
sluice on the river which is (officially) used as a public pool in summer.

regards

Jeffrey.