Festival in Belorado May 15

Jen Seeler jeandaveaMINDSPRING.COM
Fri Mar 19 11:58:38 PST 2004

In '01 we happened upon a local festival in Belorado.   Started 12:30 ish in
the Plaza Mayor.  There was a group of children in local costumes dancing to
(I think) the music of an acccordian and a recorder.    The procession went
from the main church (next to which is the city albergue) consisting of a
crucifer, two saints on "marching" platforms, a small brass band,  and the
priest.  The local people marched in between the formal elements.  At the
small church, San Pedro (I think) the procession stopped.  Out came a
beautiful statue of St Mary on a silver decorated carrying platform.    The
procession then wound back thru the town to the main church.

The children formed two lines at the door.  The procession continued into
the church through the main doors.   The statue of St. Mary did a "180" and
went in backwards!   The doors closed.   I slipped in through one of the
side doors.   St. Mary was now up on the high alter, facing the
congregation.  They could not have turned her around in the church.

There were speeches, hymns and prayers.     It was delightful to watch and
be a part of.

Why the festival?  "Santa Maria le gusta califaccion."   St. Mary likes
heat.     The main church is not heated in the winter, so the image of St.
Mary resides in the small St. Peter's church.  On May 15, she moves to the
main church.

PS:  There is a newer private albergue in Belorado, with washer and dryer.

   jean seeler     jeandaveamindspring.cOM