reading on the Camino

Jeffrey Crawley jt.crawleyaUKONLINE.CO.UK
Sun Mar 14 16:57:32 PST 2004

Philippe,

You'll quite often find you can pick up and drop off paperbacksin refugios although a lot tend to be in Spanish.

I loaded up four "classic" books from the Gutenberg web site onto my Palm Pilot and never got to finish them all.

Silk bag liners a great, last autumn I used on in conjunction with a fleece liner with no problems except at Sto Domingo (the rear door was left open all night). You'll find blankets of varying degrees of cleanliness in most refugios if you get chilly.

Probably not much use for a foam mattress as, if you do have to sleep on the floor, most refugios have 5 - 7cm thick foam mats to use. If you do take a foam mat you might like to place it inside your pack, unrolled. This way it forms a liner and helps with water proofing (though nothing beats a proper liner), stays out of the way and, if your bag is frameless) helps stiffen it and keep it open when you pack/unpack (wish I'd taken my own advice on that one!).

Jeffrey
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Philippe SEURRE
  To: GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
  Sent: Sunday, March 14, 2004 10:17 AM
  Subject: reading on the Camino

  Could anyone tell me whether I will be able to find exchange second hand bookshops on the Camino ( books in English or French )  ,  like those that exist in Asia, for those travelers who dump their old books and exchange them for those left earlier by other travelers?

  Also,   in June/ July,   would an silk sleeping bag liner - instead of a proper sleeping bag - be sufficient ?

  Lastly,  would anyone recommend I take a light foam mattress too?

  many thanks

  Philippe