Madrid

Karen Willmus willmusaRUNESTONE.NET
Thu Mar 11 19:40:20 PST 2004

"When two nations kill each other's citizens, it's called War, but when a
small group of people attacks a large nation, it's called Terrorism."

Anyone ever read "The Mouse That Roared?"  It's a silly book, but what it
has to say about terrorism is sobering.  At any rate, in response to
Claudia's message, I'd like to say thank you.

 Among other things, she wrote:  "Let's hope we won't have to repeat a
Reconquista, even because nowadays we
> have no "Cid" nor "Reyes Catolicos" to lead us to victory but only very
> scared, lazy, well-fed, unconscious, moralistic but absolutely immoral,
> falsely pacifistic, western peoples.

The average American, Spanish, English, etc. citizen may say that what we
(as a world) are involved in is not a religious war against Islam.  And
George Bush wouldn't say it (although he believes it - remember the Crusade
quote?) and Pope John Paul wouldn't say it (because he's scared of it - too
many Catholics in the field could be in danger) and Chiraq would definitely
not say it (because he wants to be re-elected.)

But Osama Bin Laden would.  He would say that his war is a holy war against
the Infidel, particularly Jews and Christians who support Jews.  Osama Bin
Laden would say this is a war about Jerusalem.

So who's right?  Is it a religious war or isn't it?

Well, of course it's not a religious war between your Joe-Average
Westernized Christian and your Joe-Average Urban Moslem.  But wars, holy or
not, were never started between Averages.  They only start between people
who have something important to lose or to gain.  The American woman who was
killed in Iraq today was not average.  She was "fighting" for women's
rights.  And whoever blew up the trains in Madrid wasn't average, either.

What most of the people on this list understand, however, is something
higher than today's news.  That there's a Will and a Purpose and a Power
greater than our daily events.  And that we are all on a journey (allbeit
some never make it past the first rest stop before their feet poop out) - a
journey to learn to know that Will -- and that Purpose and Power.

Enough philosophizing.
All I really know is that when I die, my first question will be, "Why?  Why,
Lord, did You do it in the first place?"

Karen Willmus