walking back

Michael Williams gen78aDIAL.PIPEX.COM
Wed Mar 10 11:59:46 PST 2004

Another idea,only recently possible, if you are starting in Leon or nearby,
is to fly by Ryanair from London (Stanstead) to Valladolid and take the
train to Leon (about 2 hours) I have a flight price of £20 one way with
taxes for mid may.
Michael
-----Original Message-----
From: Rosina Lila <BlaroliaAOL.COM>
To: GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU <GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU>
Date: 10 March 2004 00:10
Subject: Re: walking back

>Hi Claire,
>The first time I walked the Camino, in 1999, it took me exactly 33 days to
walk from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Santiago.  The second time, in 2000, it
took me 44 days to walk from Roncesvalles to Santiago (I purposedly lingered
here and there). Both times I started out towards the end of July and
finished in September. In 2001 I walked from Somport to Puente La Reina
(loved it.... there were far fewer pilgrims there) and then from Ferreiro to
Santiago, again during July and August. Last year I walked from O Cebreiro
to Santiago, also in August-September. Some day I would like to go in early
spring or late autumn.
>Now, returning from Santiago Iberia will give up to a 50% discount to
Compostela-holding pilgrims who fly from Santiago to another city in spain,
and up to 25% discount to Compostela-holing pilgrims who fly from Santiago
to another city in Europe. Just go with your compostela dna passport to the
Iberia office in Santiago itself.
>If non-European pilgrims had to fly to Madrid, or to Pamplona, or even
Paris, to begin the pilgrimage, they can get the Iberia discount on the
flight to wherever in Spain or Europe their return ticket establishes as the
point of departure for their home country. (Most Canada, Mexico and USA
pilgrims fly to and from Madrid). The original transatlantic, or whatever,
ticket does not have to be via Iberia, although I imagine that it wouldn't
hurt if it were.
>Direct flights have been added to and from Lavacolla (the Santiago airport)
to Seville, Valencia, Barcelona, Rome and even Venice.
>Barajas, the airport in Madrid, has a post office; when I was in Santiago
at the end of last year, I helped some German pilgrims translate their
transactions at the Santiago post office; they were sending packages to
themselves to General Delivery (Lista de Correos) at the Barajas post
office.(!).
>The taxis in Santiago, and Spain in general, are ridiculously inexpensive.
The fixed fee to go from downtown Santiago to the airport is about 10 US
dollars. Pilgrims can, however, take the number 10 bus at plaza Galicia
(close to the Cathedral) and go to the bus station. From there, a bus to the
airport costs about one dollar.