Women traveling alone

Estelle Codier EstelleCaKAPIOLANI.ORG
Tue Mar 9 08:39:04 PST 2004

My husband and I walked the camino last fall. A female friend of ours will
be walking it alone the May. She has had some trepidation about this...any
words of wisdom I should pass along to her?

-----Original Message-----
From: Road to Santiago Pilgrimage [mailto:GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU] On Behalf
Of Alec McKenzie
Sent: Monday, March 08, 2004 11:28 PM
To: GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
Subject: Re: $$$

Brian Barger wrote:

>Would it be wise to open an account once you arrive? Since a wad of
>traveler's cheques in $20's sounds like a hassle and I don't want to do the
>credit card thing I know I am making it difficult.

It is a simple matter to open a non-resident's bank account in Spain,
but there is simply no reason to do so. An ATM card is all you would
ever need.

>Another thing is Should I purchase a small tent incase the refugios are
full?

However small the tent, you would be adding non-essential weight to
what you are having to carry. That is something you really must avoid.

>Insurance too, since it is a fool's folly to think you're going to wander
>through Spain on foot and might not need medical attention

My wife tripped and fell and hurt her wrist. At the local Health
Centre she was seen straight away, an X-ray taken, and her wrist
expertly strapped up. We were given a copy of the X-ray with a letter
to her home doctor. No charge, and no request for any documentation.
If you would feel happier paying for insurance, go ahead. I wouldn't.
--
Alec McKenzie
alecamckenzie.me.uk