$$$

Jack Christensen jchristeaSONIC.NET
Mon Mar 8 18:35:09 PST 2004

I had the same experience.  My ATM card was my source of cash for my entire
pilgrimage.  Like Claudia, I carried a VISA card with which I could get
cash, but never needed it.  It's probably still a good idea though.

Sometimes, a bank will not accept your ATM.  I had this problem in the
Amsterdam airport after I stepped off the plane from the US.  Major Panic!
In Europe with no cash.  Don't fret.  Just go to other banks until you find
one that works.

Banks in Europe only accept 4 digit (no alpha characters on the pushbuttons
as I recall) PIN numbers.  I'm told that some US banks are different.  So,
if you don't have a 4 digit PIN, get one before you go.
Jack

-----Original Message-----
From: Road to Santiago Pilgrimage [mailto:GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU]On
Behalf Of claudia castellani
Sent: Monday, March 08, 2004 5:25 PM
To: GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
Subject: Re: $$$

I found myself very well with a bancomat card and a credit card (just in
case!). Only remember to take money when you find an ATM. If you skip it,
you might not find another one for many kilometers onward.
I calculated a maximum of 25 euros per day, which in the end was too much.
To sleep you normally spend about 3-4 euros and the Pilgrim menu, avaliable
everywhere, costs about 8 euros. I never ate twice a day at restaurants, so
I spent about 15 euros per day.
Travellers cheques oblige you to arrive in cities and villages when banks
are open, which can be uncomfortable.

Claudia