trekking poles

Robert Spenger rspengeraEARTHLINK.NET
Wed Jul 28 11:35:18 PDT 2004

My poles have spikes, but I bought inexpensive rubber caps that fit
over the spikes. It was easy enough to take them on or off when the
surface changed. The only problem was the loss of one of the tips on
one trip. For the next trip, I carried a couple of spare tips, but
didn't need them. I had backpacked for years in the mountains with
never a thought of carrying any kind of a walking stick other than an
ice axe when there was snow, but I was 75 when I started this crazy
camino business and I found walking sticks to be indispensable -
roadside pickups on the first trip and store-bought  trekkers on the
next two.

regards,

Bob S.