New list member

Geri Anderson geriandeaYAHOO.COM
Fri Jul 23 07:36:44 PDT 2004

Hi all:

I'm deep in the throes of planning a hike on the Camino the first week in October. Since we only have a week, we're tentatively thinking of starting in Sarria. I guess we could start anywhere and end anywhere, but it's nice to think of ending up in Santigo de Compostela. Is there a better segment anyone would suggest?

This is taking a bit of scheduling/coordinating since my hiking buddy lives in North Carolina and I live in Mexico (my Spanish is basico). Right now I'm in New Hampshire, will return to Mexico for the month of August and then back here in  September to fly Boston to Madrid. I'm "assuming" there are buses from Ponferrada to Sarria, no?  We have info that we can go by train from Madrid to Ponferarada. I am closer in age to 70 than 60, but am a strong walker. (I don't own a car.) I've been doing day hikes on parts of the Appalachian trail and other mountains here in N.H. this summer, but I don't have to carry my house on my back!

In preparation so far, I've bought a 2 oz absorbent towel. Debating whether to wear hiking boots or just walking shoes. Have both, broken in. Also will take a pair of lightweight sandals. Other suggestions?

I operate a low-key B&B in Oaxaca, Mexico, so if anyone out there is headed that way, give me a holler.

I am certainly happy to find this list.

Saludos,
Geri