Pilgrim's Posters...??

Tania A. Heinemann taniaraGOLDEN.NET
Mon Jul 19 14:17:33 PDT 2004

Rosina,

Thank you for forwarding these along.  These are wonderful and I will include a few in my scrapbook of the Camino.

I am wondering if you or anyone out there may be able to help me track down a poster.  I saw it in Trinidad de Airre atthe Albergue. It was of pilgrims' feet, some of them were simply just skeletons and some were actual feet, the poster said Camino de Santiago, and there was a year, which now I can't remember.

When I arrived in Santiago I went on a search for this poster and came up unsuccesful, I checked the library and Peregrino Museum.   Any other resources that I may be able to track this poster down?

Thanks in advance!
Tania
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Rosina Lila
  To: GOCAMINOapete.uri.edu
  Sent: July 19, 2004 3:46 PM
  Subject: Pilgrims' proverbs.

  Hello,
  36 Pilgrims Proverbs were compiled and published during the Holy Jacobean Year 1993; sometimes they may be purchased printed on a large laminated poster-like board at the Libreria Gonzalez in Santiago's Rua del Vilar.
  I'll attempt to send them twelve  at a time, together with an attempted translation into English.
  The proverbs rhyme in Spanish and my translating abilities leave a great deal to be desired.  It would be very good if someone here were able to provide better translations; if so, perhaps the US Friends of the Camino or the Santa Barbaras in California could print them as cards, or something.
                   REFRANERO DEL PEREGRINO

  1. Un peregrino sin buen humor, es como un mundo sin color

  2. A Dios rogando y con el mazo dando.  Ayudate y Dios te ayudara.

  3. A dar no nos neguemos, pues Dios nos da para que demos.

  4. Antes es la obligacion que la devocion

  5. Atajar pronto el mal procura, sino siempre dura

  6. Al peregrino lo cubre luz si lo acompana Jesus.

  7. Dios perdona al penitente que se arrepiente

  8. El amor y la Fe, en las obras se han de ver.

  9. El bien que puedas hacer hoy no lo dejes para manana.

  10. El hombre ocioso siempre es vicioso; ocupate en algo provechoso.

  11. El mal, bien sufrido, para el cielo abre camino

  12. El que peca y se enmienda, a Dios se encomienda.

  Translation (more or less)

  1.   An ill-tempered pilgrim is like a colorless world.
  2.   Hit the hammer while you pray;  Help yourself and God will help you.
  3.   Let us not refuse to be generous; God gives to us so that we may give.
  4.   Obligations come before devotion.
  5.   Deal with your hurtful problem, otherwise it will long last.
  6.   A pilgrim is bathed in light when accompanied by Jesus.
  7.   God forgives a penitent who repents.
  8.   Love and Faith are shown by one's  actions.
  9.   Whatever good you can do today, do not leave it 'til tomorrow.
  10. The idle man is prey to vice; do something useful
  11. Suffering one's sorrows well opens the way to heaven.
  12. He who sins and repents commends himself to God.